How I got where I am:
I was born in Ottawa, Ontario, and have degrees in English Literature from Queen’s University and Journalism from the University of King’s College. I have a strong background in print publishing including serving in editorial and in-house writing roles for several magazines, working as a Sales and Editorial representative for Harcourt Canada and McGraw-Hill Canada and working in a printing company where I got hands-on experience in print production; both on traditional presses and digital printing.
What I do now:
I currently work as a freelance writer in Ottawa and do a variety of work.
I write Young Adult fiction and am actively pursuing having a novel published. I’ve entered several writing contests and have been happy and honoured to place in quite a few, most recently The Writers’ Union of Canada’s 15th Annual Writing for Children Competition. I also teach a contest-writing workshop.
I’ve written assigned stories for local and national publications including Today’s Parent, Canadian Living, More Magazine, the Queen’s Alumni Review, the Ottawa Citizen, Ottawa Magazine and many others. Much of my writing has been for the internet; contributing to sites such as CanadianLiving.com and More.ca.
I also do corporate work including writing for the in-house magazines and websites of various organizations and companies.
In addition, I’ve written hundreds of resumes for clients in fields from architecture to zoo landscaping.
My strengths (or why editors hire me!):
Over the years I’ve developed a reputation for having innovative story ideas and an inviting writing style and I’m also known for accuracy in my work and a strict adherence to deadlines.
How to reach me:
Phone: (613) 304-4608
- “The Wedding Waltz”, Ottawa Citizen, April 2011
- “The holiday party: No problem!” More.ca, December, 2008
- “The FlyLady’s following,” More.ca, October, 2008
- “How to make cleaning fun in the bath,” CanadianLiving.com, April, 2008
- “Now hear this,” More Magazine, February / March 2008
- “Personal Best: Making Time for Mom,” Today’s Parent Magazine, September, 2007
- “Biggest Failure is not Trying,” Ottawa Citizen, July 4, 2007
- “The doctors and health care pros your kids should see,” CanadianLiving.com, May, 2007
- “The Landscape of Corporate Citizenship in Canada,” Forefront Magazine, 2007
- “PWC gets Leaders Learning,” Forefront Magazine, 2007
- “Medication Hesitation,” Today’s Parent Magazine, January, 2005